Teaching English in Taiwan!
Taiwan's teachers' board is providing a discussion forum for anyone involved in teaching or learning English. Improve your English!
  Teachers board
Teaching English and living in Taiwan

Welcome to the ESL activity board. We provide a discussions forum for teaching ESL in Taipei, Taiwan. The Bulletin board is for ESL job search and classifieds free for schools and teachers. Teaching English as a second language to young students has many different concepts. We are grateful for anyone sharing his/her thoughts and experiences in this forum!
Chat at Taiwan-taipei.com
Choose a nickname

You are not logged in.
LoginLogin Join for freeJoin for free
MessagesMessages SearchSearch HelpHelp StatStatistics
ChatChat VotesVotes FilesFiles CalendarCalendar BookmarksBookmarks
questions not so much about teaching but finding a good country

First   Previous   Next   Last
darewrecks

New PostCreated: 2011-05-20, 08:05 PM CET  Subject: questions not so much about teaching but finding a good country  print  recommend Reply with Quotation  

Hello everyone.
So I have made the decision to teach english abroad. I was terminated from my teaching job her in the states. Ive been tired of being here and am all ready a huge traveler so I decided why not try to live somewhere else.
The question is where???
The places with the best benefits, pay, safest, etc....all point towards South Korea and Japan. (Not sure how Japan is doing after all the drama)
Though I have been to Japan and loved my month stay there, I dont know if I could actually live there for a year. When my month was up, I was ready to go home.
Though I have stayed in South America for serveral months at a time and love it.
Heres a little info about me.
Im in my early 30's, love traveling, do photograpy both above and below water as a hobby, certified scuba diver, and professional dancer (well, more so in my younger days, now I teach.)
I would love to teach and if I have time take my dancing or photography to a higher level. (Eventually start schools of dance slowly making my teaching job obsolete, or have lots of time to practice photography and get myself out there with the idea of doing underwater photography for magazines or just sell photos but that would require doing it A LOT and getting myself out there.)
I am totally in love with the idea of teaching english in south america.
I speak spanish (my mom is mexican) so there is no problem getting around, making friends. (I think the key to enjoying life is having a riching and enjoyable work mixed with a good social life)
However, these countries can be dangerous. A lot of these places you cant just walk around with a 2000 dollar camera and start taking pictures. Plus I am a knuncle head and hard headed. (Example, I was robbed by 4 kids (19-21) armed with knives and guns in Honduras and the first thing I said to them was fuck off.
They only took my iphone but I had thousands of dollars worth of camera stuff on me.) Im surprised I didnt get shot in the face. But thats a example of my mentality and I know I had to have been REAL LUCKY to leave that situation unscathed. With that being said I am a bit fearful to teach in south america for my hard headed attitude. I know other jackers will not be as forgiving.
Then theres the low pay, etc....
On the other side of the coin I could go somewhere like South Korea and Japan
I hear they really take care of teachers. I hear its safe (Ive been to japan and i felt even the cops were scared of me, I never had one problem while I was there)
But I dont speak either language, I dont know if I want to put in the time to learn the language, im definetely not popular with the ladies out there, and i might want some company if im going to be around a year or more. I know some of japanese culture as a ignorant american, and none of korean culture.
Im trying to figure out what i am trying to say. ;)
I guess all in all, im looking for peoples experiences in teaching in various countries. I would love to hear from people who have or are teaching in south korea, japan, indonesia, italy, greece, eastern europe, colombia, ecuador, peru, brazil, argentina, chile. Not so much the teaching experience but outside of teaching. 
Also, I wanted to share some of my hobbies and what I like to do. Maybe you have similar interests and theres a country that is just a inspiration for photos, espcially underwater photography (tropical, coral reef, wrecks cool too ;)
Maybe many of you taught at countries where you knew nothing of the language and culture and you loved it.....
Maybe you some of you have made money in south america or had real good safe experiences there.....
anything would be helpful..
thank you all....

Show user's profile Send private message to this member
Sortierung ändern:  
First   Previous   Next   Last
Page 1 of 1
Go to:   
Search