Teaching English in Taiwan!
Taiwan's teachers' board is providing a discussion forum for anyone involved in teaching or learning English. Improve your English!
  Teachers board
Teaching English and living in Taiwan

Welcome to the ESL activity board. We provide a discussions forum for teaching ESL in Taipei, Taiwan. The Bulletin board is for ESL job search and classifieds free for schools and teachers. Teaching English as a second language to young students has many different concepts. We are grateful for anyone sharing his/her thoughts and experiences in this forum!
Chat at Taiwan-taipei.com
Choose a nickname

You are not logged in.
LoginLogin Join for freeJoin for free
MessagesMessages SearchSearch HelpHelp StatStatistics
ChatChat VotesVotes FilesFiles CalendarCalendar BookmarksBookmarks
The CLA will strengthen the crackdown on kindergartens English-teaching

First   Previous   Next   Last
bob
New PostCreated: 2007-08-25, 10:38 AM CET  Subject: The CLA will strengthen the crackdown on kindergartens English-teaching  print  print thread  recommend Reply with Quotation  

The CLA will strengthen the crackdown on kindergartens who hire foreign English teachers

Some experts believe that early language learning is better, however some forces in the Taiwan  government believe, that children should learn their own language first.

Beliefs here and  beliefs there, all it comes down to, is who has the power an pursues who's interests.

For the scientific world; the present view is, that we are born with what is called the (universal listening). A universal listener is capable of absorbing and recognize all different sounds, memorize them, and later recognize them when heard again.

This windows of learning sound patterns from other languages closes at about the age of 8 month. However we all know that the younger we are the better we can compensate and this suggests that learning a second language at a very young age is better than (trying) to learn it later on.

My opinion as a kindergarten teacher who has dealt with thousands of children so far.

1): Children under the age of seven do not have a fixed value for things. For you a shoe is a shoe. You know what it's for. Therefore if I showed it to you, you'd not spending much time flowing libido into it.

For a youngster however, a shoe can be a very interesting thing to explore, in many different ways without any prejudgment. Therefore, you as a teacher can have a lot of libido flowing concerning the shoe. In sentences, as single vocabulary, including the names for the colors, size, dirty, clean etc. This will defiantly improve memorizing.

Try this one with your adult or even elementary aged students. And if the crackdown happens, in two years from now with your elementary students who roll their eyes when you open your mouth.

2): Hearing simply is at 100% right after we are born. Learning a second language can have many hurdles. One of them is the lack of  high frequency hearing. All of us who study Chinese know, that catching the sounds often fails because of that. If your ears work 100% sharp, you can distinguish different sounds, even  in a mess of a noisy classroom environment. Adults prefer one on one teaching in a quiet environment.

3): I simply can tell who had English lessons at a very young age and who did not. And this doesn't go away even after long period of teaching. There are exceptions of course. two in ten are linguists. The others, including myself, are for one or another reason not.

Your comments are welcome!

Thanks

[edited: 2007-08-25, 10:45 AM CET by Admin]
bob
New PostCreated: 2007-08-25, 10:53 AM CET  Subject: Re: The CLA will strengthen the crackdown on kindergartens English-teaching  print  recommend Reply with Quotation  

Sorry I used the term Libido without double check.

Here is the definition I referred to while using it.

Libido in its common usage means sexual desire, however more technical definitions, such as found in the work of Carl Jung, are more general, referring to libido as the free creative, or psychic, energy an individual has to put toward personal development, or individuation.

Sortierung ändern:  
First   Previous   Next   Last
Page 1 of 1
Go to:   
Search