Teaching English in Taiwan!
Taiwan's teachers' board is providing a discussion forum for anyone involved in teaching or learning English. Improve your English!
  Teachers board
Teaching English and living in Taiwan

Welcome to the ESL activity board. We provide a discussions forum for teaching ESL in Taipei, Taiwan. The Bulletin board is for ESL job search and classifieds free for schools and teachers. Teaching English as a second language to young students has many different concepts. We are grateful for anyone sharing his/her thoughts and experiences in this forum!
Chat at Taiwan-taipei.com
Choose a nickname

You are not logged in.
LoginLogin Join for freeJoin for free
MessagesMessages SearchSearch HelpHelp StatStatistics
ChatChat VotesVotes FilesFiles CalendarCalendar BookmarksBookmarks
Teaching without a degree

First   Previous   Next   Last
Page: 1, 2
Gary
New PostCreated: 2005-10-21, 05:21 AM CET  Subject: Teaching without a degree  print  print thread  recommend Reply with Quotation  

Could anyone please let me know about the reality of teaching in Taiwan without a bachelor degree?

Is it possible at all?

If so, under what circumstances?

Do you have any such experience to share?

Thanks a lot.

Jeff
New PostCreated: 2005-10-21, 05:51 AM CET  Subject: kindergartens buxibans and privates  print  recommend Reply with Quotation  

The reality is, that all kindergatens and many of these buxibans in Taiwan cannot sponsor anyone to teach English to children under the age of 7 legally! So the reality on that should be all foreign teachers working in kinder gardens are doing this probably without the apropiate visa or working permission.
One way to get an open working permission forTaiwan is to get married to a Taiwanese.
This way works for most countries anyway.
If you want to stay in Taiwan for more than 2 month you'll need to attend a language class for chinese or other student programms wich provide you with visa extensions.
Don't worry take things as they come to you and don't get ripped off by agents.
Negociate your visa issues with kindergatens, schools and employers not with agents who get new commision evry time an English teacher found the end of the non sponsored teaching English in Taiwan road.
Schools are interrested in keeping the teachers for a minimum of one year and many agents are interrested in finding new teachers all the time. Always consider this while talking to the director of that establishment.
good luck
Gary
New PostCreated: 2005-10-22, 02:59 AM CET  Subject: Re: Teaching without a degree  print  recommend Reply with Quotation  

Thanks Jeff for your thoughts.
Nathan
New PostCreated: 2006-02-06, 05:48 AM CET  Subject: Re: Teaching without a degree  print  recommend Reply with Quotation  

So, is what your saying is the reality not good that I can not teach without a degree in Taiwan?The silly thing is I am more well spoken and more well read than any of my friends with degrees, and they are shocked when I tell them I dont have one. But is it going to be a struggle to find work?

Tony
New PostCreated: 2006-02-06, 06:47 AM CET  Subject: Re: Teaching without a degree  print  recommend Reply with Quotation  

Sure! You can find a job in Taiwan.
You will have to find some kind of visa solution.

However, your first sentence is a little twisted. Who doesn’t do that in a forum?

I think it said that in reality all foreigners who work in kindergartens in Taiwan got the job without the papers necessary. However, as far as I know there no more jobs in kindergartens in the morning. Most people I know work in the afternoon only. That’s because of new enforced government regulations which prohibit foreigners to teach kindergarten aged children.

Find a job in some Buxiban no problem!

m. dujon johnson
New PostCreated: 2006-09-02, 12:33 AM CET  Subject: Re: Teaching without a degree  print  recommend Reply with Quotation  

Why is it that people without degrees are always attempting to make a point about how smart they are by 'trashing' those with degrees?  The fact of the matter is that there are some individuals, like myself, who will not be so uncivilized as to tell another person that their spoken English is poor.  A person is not going to cover up their insecurities or self-esteem issues by pointing at the 'perceived' faults of other.

M. Dujon Johnson, B.A., M.A.(06), J.D.

Ph.D student

Tim
New PostCreated: 2006-09-02, 11:29 AM CET  Subject: Re: Teaching without a degree  print  recommend Reply with Quotation  

Teaching without a degree sometimes is no more than some legal informality. It really depends on circumstances.  

1)     Salary

2)     Age of students

3)     The overall goal for English studies (just a little abc, my name is….) or perfect fluent English like a native American, which defiantly could drop an Irish, Scottish or even an Australian esl teacher behind a non native one.]

4)     Personal qualities (patient with kids, knowledge of certain fields like med, law, politics, science, chemistry, physics) some adult students don’t want to talk to a young bachelor degreed college girl who doesn’t have a clue about the students profession.

5)     The abundance of teachers with a degree. If there are no native English teachers around with the desired degree schools and especially kindergarten might choose to hire someone who meets their demand for that particular job. I say job because standing in front of 25 running diapers for 25 minutes holding a flash card and shouting A A A aaa apple It’s an apple! does not really require a degree.

To those non native English teachers who (trash on native qualified and degreed ESL teachers)

I see these posts all over the net. Most of the time these postings have some terrible errors in spelling and grammar, which makes me a little suspicious about the origin.

Myself: I am not a native ESL teacher and if I wanted to have this post here free of mistakes, I’d have to spent some time going over it several times. So if I wanted to bump on some native teachers it would take quite some time because I’d make sure not to have any errors in that particular post.

Personally, I think as a non-native English teacher you’re better off focusing on the few advantages you have and point them out.

1)     You have managed to acquire the second language yourself to the degree you are at. This means you know how to get there out of personal experience.

2)     You speak off shore English. This can be helpful with intermediate students because they can understand you. This will give them a little more confidence.

3)     You might have other qualifications more suitable for the student you’re dealing with.

And last there will always be someone who can top you. When you are Prof. Dr. Dr. Med. Science law business and politics, you can start giving crap to others If you aren’t above this by then.

[edited: 2006-09-02, 11:33 AM CET by Admin]

tom
New PostCreated: 2007-03-22, 09:09 PM CET  Subject: Re: Teaching without a degree  print  recommend Reply with Quotation  

see my post at "how to get an esl certificat"

the first time teaching i've had no working permit but my own apt. and scooter (registred on a taiwanese friend), teached at 5 differnent schools, had plenty of private students and flew every 2 months to hong kong for the visa extension. the money i've made was excellent.

but avoid overstaying your visa at any means (even one day will put you on the bad-guy-list).

muna ghulam
New PostCreated: 2007-04-06, 01:59 PM CET  Subject: Re: Teaching without a degree  print  recommend Reply with Quotation  

i am a teacher i have done my masters in english literature

i wanted to know if i can be a teacher in ur school

i want to apply

Paul
New PostCreated: 2007-09-06, 09:19 PM CET  Subject: Re: Teaching without a degree  print  recommend Reply with Quotation  

This is what is wrong with people today.  Especially Americans.

Fist of all, I am American . . . not very proud of it though.  This earth is for all of us.  Second, there will be many grammer, spelling mistakes in this blog because I am not afraid to write how I talk in front of friends.  Nobody speaks perfect grammatical English.  I do not refine how I talk, who I am, or how I write a blog.  Of course I can teach different tenses to students, but can you teach them how to converse in a bar with drunk Americans?

I am two classes away from a B.S. in chemical engineering.  This has plagued everything in my life since 1998.  A mistake to drop out?  Yes.  A regret? not at all.

We have to love everybody.  Scientist and Priest, college grad and non-college grad.  Just like the p[oor hate the rich, the high school grads hate the college grads.  College is an experience that I'll never forget.  I learned more outside of class than I did inside of it.  You must realise that the college grads and the rich do have knowledge (no survival skills maybe - but knowledge, yes).

And you rich and college grads that see the poor and the high school grads as lesser beings, remember that you money and your degrees are nothing but pieces of paper with a signature on them.

When quantum physics and spirituality meet, when science and religion meet, when rich and poor can be friends, and when all you guys start finding out the streghts of each other, this is when we can start to change the world.

If that doesn't work, then I propose two other options.

1. Get rid of money.  We tell our children their whole lives that life isn't fair.  Then we have currency which tries to make it fair.  Stop selling your skills and offer them.

2.  Look at how the Mexicans live.  12 people in a 3 bedroom house.  Now that's family values.  If you don't want them crossing the border anymore, then get rid of the border . . . isn't it an imaginary line anyway?

Don't play leapfrog with unicorns

Sortierung ändern:  
First   Previous   Next   Last
Page: 1, 2
Page 1 of 2
Go to:   
Search