Teaching English in Taiwan!
Taiwan's teachers' board is providing a discussion forum for anyone involved in teaching or learning English. Improve your English!
  Teachers board
Teaching English and living in Taiwan

Welcome to the ESL activity board. We provide a discussions forum for teaching ESL in Taipei, Taiwan. The Bulletin board is for ESL job search and classifieds free for schools and teachers. Teaching English as a second language to young students has many different concepts. We are grateful for anyone sharing his/her thoughts and experiences in this forum!
Chat at Taiwan-taipei.com
Choose a nickname

You are not logged in.
LoginLogin Join for freeJoin for free
MessagesMessages SearchSearch HelpHelp StatStatistics
ChatChat VotesVotes FilesFiles CalendarCalendar BookmarksBookmarks
How to get an esl certification

First   Previous   Next   Last
George
New PostCreated: 2005-12-18, 07:06 PM CET  Subject: How to get an esl certification  print  print thread  recommend Reply with Quotation  

Hello everybody
My problem is this
I am not from a native English country and would like to teach English here.
Do you know where I could get an esl certificate that alowes me to get sponsored teaching English here?
Tobias

New PostCreated: 2006-07-03, 05:07 PM CET  Subject: Teaching English in Taiwan  print  recommend Reply with Quotation  

Teaching English in Taiwan

Teaching English still is a good opportunity for young people who want to learn about Asian and specially Taiwan culture.

In order to teach English you will have to apply for an Alien Residence Visa (ARC) and a Work permit. To do this it is required that you come from an English speaking country. The minimum educational degree is the so-called bachelor degree.

When applying your ARC you will have to present the Taiwanese Authorities with a Police record, a Health certificate, your degree ceiled enclosed.

Teaching opportunities

There is different kind of teaching opportunities in Taiwan.

Government schools: Goverment schools are probably the safest way in terms of legal status.

Private schools: Private schools can apply your papers and provide you an ARC but you will have to be careful not to be tricked into illegal labor.

Kindergartens: some kindergarten still claim to hire foreign English teachers legally there are many rumors and it is not very transparent so be careful.

Buxibans: The so-called Buxibans are some kind of after schools institutions. Some of them can provide you with an ARC. However, be careful.

Teaching Privates: If you study Chinese at a University in Taiwan, you will get a student visa.

A student visa permits you to work 15 hours per week. At least thats what I heard!

Company classes: Probably the highest salary can be made teaching Companies in Taiwan. Many companies offer this service to their employees or need they need qualified English teachers for running their buisness.

Teaching illegally: Teaching without a degree and without a work permit is possible but you are breaking the law and if caught you will be deported. There are rumors about raids in kindergartens and buxibans but seldom someone points to a real person who can report out of her/his own experience.

Most people who teach in Taiwan illegally extend their visas through some Chinese learning programs or other educational programs that provide visa extensions. It is tricky and after all this flying to Hong Kong every now and then, you will find your pockets empty. Therefore, it is not the big money making thing. However for those who are serious about learning Chinese and don’t care about profit it can be a way for financing it but it’s against the law and we are not allowed to recommend this.

Best Time for starting a job

Most classes start after Chinese New Year in January or February. There are many summer camps during July and August and since many foreign teachers leave for one or the other reason it’s a good Time for picking up work. Most schools start their regular teaching schedule in September. That’s when most foreigners can start their long term employment.

Terms and conditions for teaching in Taiwan

Most schools want you to sign a minimum of one-year contract. The school has to apply your working permit and process all your papers ahead of your first workday. If you start to work before that, you are in conflict with the law. You are allowed to work in only this school and this school’s location stated on your ARC. If the school has more than one branch they still will have to fix the papers for each branch they want you to work. However, rules and regulations are changing in Taiwan very quickly and what is true today might be useless the day after. There have been many complains regarding this practice and things maybe have already changed by now.

The hourly wage is between 500NTD and 800NTD for most schools. Some places offer extraordinary good pay. It mostly depends on your experiences and your background education. Some teachers who teach company classes can make a little fortune. Not as big as Chen chuei bien’s son in law of course.

Please correct me if I wrote something wrong

Thanks

[edited: 2006-07-03, 05:24 PM CET by Tobias]
Show user's profile Send private message to this member
huei
New PostCreated: 2006-08-13, 04:52 PM CET  Subject: Re: How to get an esl certification  print  recommend Reply with Quotation  

Ther are many schools around the world where you can get a Teaching certificate.
Check this out!
teachers training program

provide training courses in TESOL or TEFL.

It's in England.

Sunny
New PostCreated: 2006-08-13, 04:57 PM CET  Subject: Re: How to get an esl certification  print  recommend Reply with Quotation  

You must be from an English speaking country if you want to teach English in Taiwan.
However many schools here don't really care.
tom
New PostCreated: 2007-03-22, 09:01 PM CET  Subject: Re: How to get an esl certification  print  recommend Reply with Quotation  

i've teached english in taiwan for several years and nobody took care about my nationality (i'm german) as far as i was a westerner

there were plenty of french teaching english as well but there abilities of speaking or writing were beyond believe.

just try and find out who will support you in getting your papers done

tom
New PostCreated: 2007-04-01, 11:14 PM CET  Subject: Re: How to get an esl certification  print  recommend Reply with Quotation  

Zitat: tom

i've teached english in taiwan for several years and nobody took care about my nationality (i'm german) as far as i was a westerner

there were plenty of french teaching english as well but there abilities of speaking or writing were beyond believe.

just try and find out who will support you in getting your papers done

sorry ppl,

i "complain" about the lack of french (even more sorry as it's not meant as an insult, just a very personal experience) in grammer etc and write "there" instead of "their". so nobody is perfect (hope to get a better reputation for ingnorant germans). please accept my aplogize.

thx, tom

caster
New PostCreated: 2007-04-02, 06:09 AM CET  Subject: Re: How to get an esl certification  print  recommend Reply with Quotation  

Apology accepted but only under one condition

I have taught English in Taiwan for several years and nobody cared about my nationality (probably) as long as I was a westerner. (because I was a westerner.)

Jimmy
New PostCreated: 2009-05-04, 05:50 PM CET  Subject: Re: How to get an esl certification  print  recommend Reply with Quotation  

Any update on this?
Sortierung ändern:  
First   Previous   Next   Last
Page 1 of 1
Go to:   
Search