Teaching English in Taiwan!
Taiwan's teachers' board is providing a discussion forum for anyone involved in teaching or learning English. Improve your English!
  Teachers board
Teaching English and living in Taiwan

Welcome to the ESL activity board. We provide a discussions forum for teaching ESL in Taipei, Taiwan. The Bulletin board is for ESL job search and classifieds free for schools and teachers. Teaching English as a second language to young students has many different concepts. We are grateful for anyone sharing his/her thoughts and experiences in this forum!
Chat at Taiwan-taipei.com
Choose a nickname

You are not logged in.
LoginLogin Join for freeJoin for free
MessagesMessages SearchSearch HelpHelp StatStatistics
ChatChat VotesVotes FilesFiles CalendarCalendar BookmarksBookmarks
When do I have too use ing after a verb?

First   Previous   Next   Last
Sabrina
New PostCreated: 2005-11-25, 04:33 PM CET  Subject:  When do I have too use ing after a verb?  print  print thread  recommend Reply with Quotation  

HI!
Why do I have to use ING this time and another time not? for example
I was helping my father find his key.
to find his key?
finding his key? find his key? or can I say both?
Can I say "I was helping my father drinking beer finding his key?
or I was srinking beer and helping my father find his key?
or I was helping my father find his key drinking beer?
which ones ar correct?
thanks

m
New PostCreated: 2008-12-04, 02:29 AM CET  Subject: Re: When do I have too use ing after a verb?  print  recommend Reply with Quotation  

I helped my father drink (to drink) beer.

It is wrong to use "ing" . In this case, it is wrong to say, "I helped my father drinking beer."

skype-aaaJENaaa
New PostCreated: 2012-02-22, 06:08 PM CET  Subject:  Re: When do I have too use ing after a verb?  print  recommend Reply with Quotation  

Hi,

There are 2 situations that I know where you use a verb with an -ING :
1. Present Continuous or Progressive.
     form:  present be verb + Verb-ING
               am singing
               is singing
               are singing
     - used when you are doing the action at the time of speaking.
    example:  I am typing right now.

- used when you are in the middle of doing something.
     example:  I am reading a novel.
               At the time that I was saying this sentence, I am not actually reading the novel at that moment, but I read the novel before I said the sentence and I will go back to reading the novel. Therefore, I am in the middle of reading the novel (middle of doing something).

2. Past Continuous
     form:  past be verb + Verb-ING
               was singing
               were singing
     - used to describe an action happening in the past when another action took place within that period
     example:  We WERE DRINKING beer when my father asked for my help to find his key.
               In this example the first action happened (were drinking) and within that time that the first action was happening another even took place (asked for my help).

example
"I was helping my father find his key" alone is incorrect.

but if "I was helping my father find his key" was followed by an action that happens while this action is happening, say "when he asked me to drink beer." it will make the sentence correct.

I helped my father find his key. is simple past and uses a past verb (helped), which is used when an action is finished/stoped/over.

I hope you find this answer helpful.
You can message me on skype for more info (aaaJENaaa)

Sortierung ändern:  
First   Previous   Next   Last
Page 1 of 1
Go to:   
Search