Retinoblastom - Forum

Sie sind nicht eingeloggt.
LoginLogin Kostenlos anmeldenKostenlos anmelden
BeiträgeBeiträge MembersMitglieder SucheSuche HilfeHilfe
VotesUmfragen FilesDateien CalendarKalender BookmarksBookmarks
Sealing Expansion Joints - Fill or leave?

Anfang   zurück   weiter   Ende
Autor Beitrag
GUTIERREZ
Mitglied

New PostErstellt: 25.01.20, 07:50  Betreff: Sealing Expansion Joints - Fill or leave?  drucken  Thema drucken  weiterempfehlen Antwort mit Zitat  

Team,

This is my first post so please be gentle . . . I did some searching and the 2nd article I read seemed to have a bit of banter going back-n-forth (30182). I am excited to find a forum dedicated what I want to be one of my four man-rooms (the other three are the home theater, the den and of course the throne).
I am going to start with the floor of the garage and after doing some reading I think I have settled on Epoxy-Coat though I'll have quite a bit of waste as my garage is just 580sf and they sell in 250/500sf increments (ugh). My garage has two crossing expansion joints that run the length of the floor (a big + ). It's a relatively new home, about 4 years old, the floor is very smooth, no cracks and I've had no fluid spills so I'm estimating a relatively easy prep -- only concern is that it may be too smooth for this stuff to stick nicely.

Benutzerprofil anzeigen Private Nachricht an dieses Mitglied senden
Vicente
Mitglied

New PostErstellt: 25.01.20, 07:51  Betreff: Re: Sealing Expansion Joints - Fill or leave?  drucken  weiterempfehlen Antwort mit Zitat  

I would not fill the expansion joints as they do serve a function if the floor needs to shift.
When the put epoxy on the shop floors at work they just worked it to the joint and painted the joint, but it did not cover or fill the joint. I myself do not like coated shop floors as a shop is a shop to me IMHO.

Travis
Mitglied

New PostErstellt: 25.01.20, 07:52  Betreff: Re: Sealing Expansion Joints - Fill or leave?  drucken  weiterempfehlen Antwort mit Zitat  

There are numerous fillers out there, be sure to use on compatible with your coating, and one that will adhere and not pop out later. Also, if there's any chance that there may be movement along the joints use a filler that retains some flexibility for expansion and/or contraction even after its cured (we offer IntegraFlex 1921 for that purpose).
Application steps depend on the particular product used.

If the cracks or joints are particularly deep you should consider using backer rod material first. That's a flexible rope that you shove down into the void first. It save you time and money because you don't need to apply as much filler; plus it also helps prevent the filler from popping out later.

Jemma
Mitglied

New PostErstellt: 25.01.20, 07:53  Betreff: Re: Sealing Expansion Joints - Fill or leave?  drucken  weiterempfehlen Antwort mit Zitat  

Thank you very much for the reply & info, I can see where the question "seemed" similar, but I assure you it was more of a should/can it be done before treated my floor with 'Epoxy-Coat' than a question of aesthetics. I know I prefer the cracks filled for utility purposes and thus was going to fill them; but if I could do it before it would look better than some unfinished, mis-matched lines afterwards. Especially since I'm planning to use flakes and figured it would look silly. Is IntegraFlex 1921 compatible with an Epoxy floor, specifically 'Epoxy-Coat'? (I realize you sell your own flooring product as well - but appreciate if you know the answer). And, since the expansion joints do permit me the option of doing part of the floor at a time - then doing the joints with the filler and its less about aesthetics than utility . . . what color would the IntegraFlex 1921 dry to if done after?

BRADFORD
Ehemaliges Mitglied

New PostErstellt: 25.01.20, 07:53  Betreff: Re: Sealing Expansion Joints - Fill or leave?  drucken  weiterempfehlen Antwort mit Zitat  

I used EpoxyCoat, and I am very happy with it. After reading the webs, I saw that there were some people that recommended expensive epoxy mixes just for the joints. I called Epoxy Coat, and they recommended using cheap latex painters caulk to fill the expansion joints, so that's what I used. The only thing I would do differently, is that I way over estimated the "flow out and fill" qualities of the epoxy. On my floor, I filled the joint with painters latex caulk, but I left a little gap (indention) figuring that the epoxy would flow into the joints a fill to a level even with the floor.

GUTIERREZ
Mitglied

Welcome to GJ, Todd and company. Good points have been made for you so far. I would fill the joints to keep moisture out of the slab. Left unsealed and painted as best that can be done, moisture will get under your new finish and make bubbles in the finish and eventual separation. Sealing first will provide a continuous finish coat over your whole floor as AlphaGarage mentioned and graphically demonstrated above. Whatever you do seal it with, you may want to test the finish on a small area to assure compatability. BTW, If you have a 580 sf concrete slab, you most likely have Control Joints that were saw cut across the floor. These are designed to contol the cracks of the concrete as all concrete has a tendancy to do. If the walls were built first, an Expansion Joint will be around the edge of the slab at the walls. If the slab was poured first, there will be no EJ's. The CJ's in my garage actually stop 4-5" from the wall which is as close as their saw could go.

selmajdanield
Mitglied

New PostErstellt: 25.01.20, 14:17  Betreff: Re: Sealing Expansion Joints - Fill or leave?  drucken  weiterempfehlen Antwort mit Zitat  

The epoxy surface is not suitable for all types of industry. It is common to find surfaces that initially looked very good, but over time end up with multiple patches due to the continuous repairs they need. These patches are almost always applied without proper surface preparation. For this reason repairs are continuous, without obtaining a lasting result and compromising the concrete slab to its deterioration.

If you want to know more details I would definitely recommend checking it out https://www.becosan.com/concrete-floor-repairs/expansion-joints/

heathercarter
Mitglied

New PostErstellt: 20.04.20, 11:04  Betreff: Re: Sealing Expansion Joints - Fill or leave?  drucken  weiterempfehlen Antwort mit Zitat  

We have better floor coating results

Sortierung ndern:  
Anfang   zurück   weiter   Ende
Seite 1 von 1
Search