LoginLogin Kostenlos anmeldenKostenlos anmelden
BeiträgeBeiträge MembersMitglieder SucheSuche HilfeHilfe
VotesUmfragen FilesDateien CalendarKalender BookmarksBookmarks
Toronto Maple Leafs make high-stakes bet swapping

Anfang   zurück   weiter   Ende
Autor Beitrag
seestyle
Mitglied

New PostErstellt: 02.09.22, 07:10  Betreff: Toronto Maple Leafs make high-stakes bet swapping  drucken  weiterempfehlen Antwort mit Zitat  

When Brendan Shanahan took the podium on Thursday morning alongside general manager Kyle Dubas, the Toronto Maple Leafs president went out of his way to underline the fact that he and Dubas are completely unified when it comes to how they view a team should be built.I want to make it really clear that were aligned and that this Earl Campbell Jersey is how I see a team should be built as well, Shanahan said.Really, what else was he to say at this point?The way in which the Maple Leafs have been a sembled prioritizing speed and skill above all else is as much Shanahans vision as it is Dubas. Shanahan has ultimately placed his bet for the future of Toronto on a coach and a general manager, who a sumed the job with no NHL experience over a Stanley Cup-winning future Hall of Fame coach in Mike Babcock (who recently became only the eighth coach to ) and Stanley Cup-winning, Hockey Hall of Fame member,Lou Lamoriello as GM.MORE:|This is not to say it wont work, but its an aggre sive bet.What we are watching now, and have been watching since Dubas from Lamoriello in May of 2018 is one grand science experiment playing out in real-time. The Maple Leafs are built on thetheory, albeit an untested one, that they are designed to compete in a style that the game is trending to.Will it workmore effectively Delanie Walker Jersey now that Keefe, a coach who dating back to their days running the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds of the Ontario Hockey League and the Toronto Marlies of the American Hockey League, is at the helm in place of Babcock? We dont know yet, but we will soon start to find out.Kyle Dubas meets with media in Arizona to addre s the firing of head coach Mike Babcock Hockey Night in Canada (@hockeynight) So far, the returns have not been pretty.Shanahan also addre sed the constant clamouring for an injection of toughne s and grit to the roster.I think sometimes people want to simplistically put us in one box as speed and skill and toughne s and grit in an entirely different box. We want to also be tough and gritty, Shanahan said. Our interpretation of toughne s and grittine s might be different than someone who played in the 70s and 80s or coached then.The confusing part is thatnobody is asking for a roster built like the Broad Street Bullies of the 1970s. He more clearly defined how he and Dubas view toughne s and grit.How we define that to our players is winning battles and being mentally tough, making a mistake and not become weak or small because of it, Shanahan said. Were aligned on how we want to build this team.MORE:| But that is the very type of toughne s and grit the team, as currently constructed, has shown an inability or unwillingne s to execute. Can Keefe glean this out of the current roster better than Harold Landry Jersey Babcock could or is the personnel just not capable, or willing, to play that way? Again, well soon find out.Keefe has 59 games to turn around an underperforming roster and get them into the Stanley Cup playoffs. Mi sing the postseason would be an unmitigated disaster for a team that . There will be no feeling-out proce s for the new coach; it's all heavy pre sure for Keefe. Babcock took a lot of heat and a lot of criticism. With him gone, further underperformance will lead to heat on Dubas and Shanahan himself, though the president does not see it that way.Tavares on Keefe's me sage, or part of it: "He talked a lot about just playing free and feeling good about ourselves and our game. For tonight, understand a couple of areas we Wesley Woodyard Jersey want to make changes in, and at the same time, just go out there and play and compete." Terry Koshan (@koshtorontosun) I dont see this decision by Kyle and the team as a situation where traditionalists might say, well youve spent your bullet. Thats not how I view it and I can tell you thats not how our ownership views it, Shanahan said. Were in this together; were making moves and evolving as we see we have to do. You dont set out with an idea, our plan and not evolve or make shifts throughout that plan.Talk to us a year from now if this season goes down the tubes and next season has a Brett Kern Jersey similarly poor start. It would be shocking if the Maple Leafs ownership group, at that point, is extending the same level of leniency as Shanahan is suggesting they do today.Dubas committed to John Tavares, Auston Matthews, Mitchell Marner and William Nylander, tying up e sentially half the salary cap in four forwards. It has left the Maple Leafs with their hands tied in a number of areas: addre sing i sues on defense, finding an adequate backup goaltender and filling out the bottom of their roster all areas where proficiency is vital if a team is going to contend for a Stanley Cup.Was Babcocks firing the right decision? Time will tell.Was he free from blame? No.But should he shoulder all the blame? Far from it.With Keefe in place, the Maple Leafs will now ultimately be judged on the bet Dubas and Shanahan have placed. The clock is now ticking.

Benutzerprofil anzeigen Private Nachricht an dieses Mitglied senden
Sortierung ndern:  
Anfang   zurück   weiter   Ende
Seite 1 von 1
Search