BeiträgeBeiträge SucheSuche HilfeHilfe
VotesUmfragen FilesDateien CalendarKalender BookmarksBookmarks
Sophia

Anfang   zurück   weiter   Ende
Seite: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Autor Beitrag
little

Administrator

New PostErstellt: 10.09.08, 10:27  Betreff: Sophia  drucken  Thema drucken  weiterempfehlen

Sophia ist das Bandprojekt um den Sänger, Gitarristen und Produzenten Robin Proper-Sheppard.
Nachdem der Bassist Jimmy Fernandez seiner früheren Band The God Machine verstorben war und sich die Band aufgelöst hatte,
gründete Proper-Sheppard nach seinem eigenen Label „Flower Shop Recordings“ die Band „Sophia“.
Es handelt sich aber eher um ein Bandprojekt Proper-Sheppards, das auf dessen Kompositionen zugeschnitten ist.
Die ersten Veröffentlichungen („Fixed Water“, 1996, und „The Infinite Circle“ 1998) wurden mit anderen Künstlern des Labels „Flower Shop“ aufgenommen.Auch die jetzige Besetzung versteht sich eher als Bandkollektiv, das eine größere Gruppe von Musikern umfasst.
Robin Proper-Sheppard ist zwar US-Amerikaner aus San Diego, lebt aber in London.
Er zieht sich zum Komponieren zuweilen in ländlichere Gegenden zurück. Er hat eine Tochter namens Hope.
Er hört Musik von Neil Young, aber auch von Massive Attack. http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophia_(Band)

Fixed Water (1996)
The Infinite Circle (1998)
De Nachten (2001 livealbum)
People are like Seasons (2004)
Technology Won’t Save Us (2006)
There are no goodbyes (2009)

http://www.sophiamusic.net/
http://www.myspace.com/thesophiacollective
http://twitter.com/thisissophia

[editiert: 15.02.10, 20:05 von little]
Benutzerprofil anzeigen Private Nachricht an dieses Mitglied senden
little

Administrator

New PostErstellt: 22.10.08, 09:27  Betreff: Re: Sophia  drucken  weiterempfehlen

Zitat:
    Hello everyone,

So that's it: There Are No Goodbyes... the working title of the new Sophia album due on 26/01/2009

Remember it's just a working title but in my heart it really does sum up the way I feel, and have felt over the course of this last year while writing, so I think it's a great start. There are a few others that I'm considering but I'll wait until the album is finished before deciding. For now though, this lyric says it all to me...

I know. I know. It's been such long time since you've last heard from me and I'm really sorry.

To be honest, every couple of months I sit down and decide that I must write you a few words but then quickly realize that I seem to be much better at thinking about what I should write than I am at actually putting pen to paper. (Yes, can you imagine? I'm writing this on paper. How old skool is that?)

And again this is a perfect example of why I don't write: I've just spent the better part of 16 hours thinking of everything I'd like to tell you and yet here I am at... what time is it... almost 4pm and I'm so completely exhausted (I haven't slept all night) from this extraordinarily insightful daydream of a conversation I've just had with you all that now that I'm back in the real world and not entirely sure where I should begin!

Oh wait, I've got an idea: Why don't I just keep this one update short and promise to write more soon? (Yes that old chestnut again)

I'll tell you what, here's a couple snippets of my little life so at least I don't have to feel like I've wasted an entire evening chatting back and forth to a room full of no one.

Firstly, why don't I start with my weblog? Yes, my blog. I have a blog!

If you don't mind, can we ignore the fact that I actually registered said blog in 2006 and yet somehow never managed to so much as sign in during the previous 2 years? Instead let's just focus on the fact that this is another example of my sincere, yet ultimately futile, attempts to communicate with you all on a more regular basis, ok?

New Years Eve 2008 (Even this debut entry is 8 months old. See how on top of it I am?)

Now before you go to the link and say 'Hey, this isn't a Best of 2007' I must add that this isn't so much a Best of 2007 but a 'Best Songs In My Life At The Moment' type-list. Some of these songs are new, most of them are old, but all of them have meant as much to me in 2007 as they did when I first heard them. And anyway, it's my New Years Eve party and I'll play what I want.

And indeed I created this list on New Years Eve 2008. So resolutely determined was I to enjoy this New Years that I forbade myself even the merest thought of leaving my flat and instead bought a nice little bottle of Moët from the Selfridges Champagne Bar and readied myself for an evening of televised festivities, thoughtful list making and slightly above-average bubbly.

Sounds fun, huh?

But you know what? I really did have an absolutely brilliant time. Really. I waited for the countdown, popped my bottle of Champers at midnight, sent my daughter a Happy New Years message and then got back to my fevered debate (between me and me) about whether I was allowed to have two songs by the same person (Compromise: Honorable Mention) and if I should limit my list to ten songs (again: Honorable Mention!).

I know it's not very rock and roll to say you were home alone on New Years Eve and all, but well, when else could I have made my list? And anyway, hasn't someone already said that stayin' in is the new goin' out? Hopefully I'm just ahead of the trend? You watch, it'll be big next year...

Anyway, I hope you like the songs and videos. (Needless to say, if you like the artists please buy their albums.)

And now I was going to tell you a funny little story about my daughter Hope and I but felt that I was delving a little too deeply into the details of our privates lives so I thought I'd cut it down and just let you have a little laugh...

So a few days ago I was walking Hope home from school and she mentioned that she was going to a wedding over the weekend with her mum, step-dad and her two little sisters. She was telling me who was getting married and what she was going to wear, you know just chit-chat, and as we got to talking more about weddings the conversation naturally turned to love and marriage and what having a family means - And yes, we do actually talk about these things: Life. Love. Relationships. Chocolate. Oh we can talk about chocolate for hours - but anyway, so she turns to me and says 'Dad? Don't you ever feel lonely? You're always alone...' and then she stops and thinks for a second and says 'Do you ever think about having what everybody else has? You know, like a normal life. A family and stuff?'

(I'm sorry but this is the section I edited. Hope and I started talking about our lives and how we've ended up in the life-situations were in and the impact it has on us: her as an eleven-teen year old (my term, thank you) and myself considering the paths I've chosen and the directions my life has taken me. As you can imagine, it always gets quite emotional when we talk about these things but I think it's a necessary part of our father/daughter relationship...)

So anyway, this walk/talk is beginning to get a little emotional and as we're getting closer to Hope's home I really don't like the idea of us leaving each other on such a somber note and so, for some unknown reason, I turn to her and say 'But sweetheart, look, I don't want you to worry about me ok? This is just my life. I'm like... I'm like a cowboy...' but before I could even finish my sentence she had started laughing so hard she almost fell over.

And now, personally, I really don't see what's so funny about that but Hope? You should have seen her. She kept saying 'Stop! Stop!' (LAUGHING) 'You're not like a cowboy!' (LAUGHING) 'Stop!' (MORE LAUGHING) 'You're not a cowboy!' (HYSTERICAL)

Well, yeah, I'm not exactly John Wayne that's for sure but c'mon, I've got cowboy boots! Oh well, she's only eleven, what does she know anyway?

OK so my pride was a little hurt by a precocious pre-teen but at least we were both happy again, right?

I guess maybe that's the point I've been trying make all along here?

I just wanted to let you all know that I'm OK and that I'm working hard and please keep all of your faith in the new album for me, ok? I really am working flat out now. That's nearly everyday until 4am, 5am, 6am. And I'm just so happy with the songs. I don't really know how to describe them except that when I breathe in and they fill me with light and allow me to dream. Truthfully I don't know how else to describe it. They're honest and open and dark and sad but somehow, I don't know but somehow they're still so positive and filled with love. It's a very strange way for me to define my own music but it's the feeling I get.

It's like this program I saw on TV a few nights ago. They were interviewing a couple in their 70's and they had been married for over 50 years. And the interviewer asked them how they managed to stay together for so long as they said it was because they made each other laugh. But then a few minutes later they were asked if the key to a lasting marriage was also their ability to never fight and they both shouted 'But we fight everyday! We fight all the time!' and then they both started laughing again! And you know, maybe I don't have that type of love in my life but I know that it exists, it fills the air around me, and that knowledge, that feeling, has changed the way I see the world…

(God what am I talking about? See this why it's taken me 16 hours and 3 drafts to write half a bloody page... I get so caught up, daydream, and then BLAH! It's easier to just say I hate the world!)

One last thing before I go though: I just want to thank Malcolm, Stevie, Alzy, Steven and Jeff again for all they're hard work this summer. To be honest, I really don't think I can thank them enough. I have to say that I was just so inspired by these last shows and I can't tell you how happy I am musically-speaking right now. Bruges with the string section was especially magical for me but really that's in no way meant to detract from the guys. We worked so hard this summer and there were times in the rehearsals that I nearly had tears in my eyes it sounded so wonderful. The impact they've had on my confidence is more than words can describe and I really did love every minute of it. Cheers guys...

OK everyone, I'm gonna get out of here now. I'm not sure this whole newsletter/blogger/internamaweb is for me now. It takes too much time and I'm actually quite emotionally drained right now! It's been like a therapy session except I left out the scary bits of my psyche. Ah yes, that reminds me. Where are those extra pages? Might be some good ideas for songs in there...

You take care and see you soon, ok?

Robin

P.S. Remember... There are no goodbyes.
    Zitat:
    There are no goodbyes... But sometimes things just need to be broken.

The Flower Shop Blog: Please click here to see video/pictures
    http://theflowershoprecordings.blogspot.com/

Hello everyone,

I thought I'd send you a little update but PLEASE don't let this photo of poor ol' Jasmine lead to you thinking we're having problems in the studio, ok?!

Quite the contrary in fact. It really is going absolutely amazing. I am literally bursting with joy (yes yes yes, a sad joy, don't worry...) with the way everything is shaping up.

And Jeffrey 'The Bear' Townsin? What can I say? Not only is the man a great friend and a true drum god but his enthusiasm and determination is really helping to drive this album along. Always full of ideas and a desire to keep trying things until we feel it's just right. Honestly, he's being brilliant.

I must admit though that we're in the studio over 10 hours a day everyday and these last few days have been pretty tough. Jeff's girlfriend (Hi Nina!) has come over for a quick visit and I really should have used this as a chance to take a little, though much needed, break myself. But did I? Of course I didn't.

And now look at poor little Jasmine... She certainly didn't deserve that!

But you know, sometimes the stress, the tension, the uncertainty, and, well, just the noise that complicates our lives, can become this excruciating hum and something has to give, right?

And actually, I feel much much calmer now... (My little hissy-fit was only about 15 minutes ago!)

How up-to-date is that? You're practically an eye witness to the destruction! (Although I'm now posting this from home a couple hours later...)

So anyway just a few little things besides saying how happy we are with the album blah blah blah...

Josh Rouse: Sweetie (MP3)

We'll sleep on rooftops
    We'll ride on bicycles
    Baby, we'll get married
    Don't you want to, Sweetie?

Girl, you sing with me
    La-la-la-la-la
    La-la-la-la-la
    La-la-la-la-la

I really want you to hear this song. It's such a great song and it ties in nicely with one of the songs Jeff and I are working on now.

Actually there's a little story to be told about my trip to see Malcolm (Middleton) and his girlfriend Verena in Glasgow (His new album is going to be absolutely brilliant, of course, and Verena makes wonderful carrot cake!) but I'll leave that for another time...

So anyway, I'm on the train home and I'm listening to Sweetie and it's one of those happy-sad moments (Do any of you ever get those?) where I'm thinking 'God I would love to get married' but I'm also thinking that no one will ever want to marry me because really, at the end of the day, I'm just a fuck-up. Pure and simple. I'm a fuck-up.

But I was happy as well. And the train was speeding along. And the sun was shining and Josh just sounded so in love and was singing his La-la-la's and his Baby let's get married's and I'm sitting on this train and get to thinking that, yeah, I'm a fuck up but I'm still lovable, right? And yeah, I've got my hang-ups and my little idiosyncrasies but hey, I'm not THAT bad and so I started writing my own song for those of us out there that are, well, maybe we aren't exactly perfect but...

I'm jealous
    And possessive
    Insecure, neurotic and obsessive...

And I know that I ain't easy but I love you
    Oh I love you

And that's gotta mean something
    Yeah doesn't that mean something?
    Especially these days
    When nothing seems to mean anything

(I guess I'm not painting a very pretty picture of myself here, huh?)

So needless to say, after I'd written it I thought it was absolute shit and just kind of threw it away (of course) but when Jeff and I started working together again I told him the idea 'behind' the song and he asked me to play it on acoustic guitar. Surprisingly (well I was surprised, I mean, it's a not a very 'cool' song...) he actually thought the song was wonderful and really sincere and now, after us working on it (and changing it rather dramatically, it sounds much closer to early Sophia...) it's become one of my favorites. Result. (Cheers Jeff!)

Oh and since I'm not going to post any of the new album yet I thought I might start posting some of the cover versions I like to work on while I'm at home. I recorded this song a few weeks ago. I hope you like it. Please remember it was probably 5am or 6am (so I either sound drunk, which I'm not but sounds cool, or deliriously tired, which doesn't sound nearly as cool but is unfortunately true) and it's just me and a microphone and my guitar sitting in my front room pretending that I can actually do these songs justice.

This first song I'll post is "Call Me On Your Way Back Home" by Ryan Adams. You might remember that I also had his song My Winding Wheel on my 'Best of 2007' list? I have to be honest and sadly say that I 'm not overly in love with absolutely everything he has ever done (but that's easy to say about EVERY other songwriter I appreciate greatly as well) but he has a few songs that, well, say everything to me. Maybe even for me. And for those few songs I would hold him up there with the best of the best. I mean, I hate to sound like a fanboy here but, when I first time I heard him sing My Winding Wheel - Ruth Gottleib (Violin) and Sarah Willson (Cello) of the Sophia 'Strings' Collective had invited me to a concert when they were playing with him as part of his acoustic band - well, all I can say is that I understood those words. They were so touching and honest and vulnerable. "Buy a pretty dress and wear it out tonight for all the boys you think can out do me... " Honestly, it gets me every single time.

But anyway, I love Call Me On Your Way Back Home as well. The idea that even moments after you've left someone you want to hear their voice again because you miss them so much (well, that's what I take from the song anyway) I just think is absolutely wonderful.

So like I said, I hope you like my version...

Sophia: Call Me On Your Way Back Home (Acoustic) (MP3)

Oh and one last thing I'd like to let leave you with is this great little excerpt from a new Daniel Lanois DVD: Here Is What Is.

Jeff and I watched this in the studio a few days ago and Brian Eno just says a few of the most wonderful sentences ("Beautiful things sometimes grow out of shit...") about the creation of Art and, well, maybe if I would have listened just a little more closely I wouldn't have let the outside worlds noise (and, I might add, my inner noise) become quite so unbearable and my poor little Jasmine would still be with us.

(I don't know WHAT I'm going to tell Jeff when he gets to the studio and sees my guitar tomorrow... But I left him a little note with a smiley face and a flower on it so I hope he knows I didn't go completely insane!)

The Flower Shop Blog: Please click here to see Lanois/Eno video

OK everyone I gotta go now but please be honest and true, to both yourselves and to others, hold your heads high, be proud and remember, it's gotta mean something...

Take care,

Robin
...für die free mp3s auf die myspace-seite gehen...

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=47507254&blogID=442804198

[editiert: 28.03.09, 14:36 von little]
little

Administrator

New PostErstellt: 04.01.09, 22:45  Betreff: Re: Sophia  drucken  weiterempfehlen

..im Feb in Berlin !! :)
wohl mein erstes konzert dann für dieses jahr ..

Sandra
starsailor

New PostErstellt: 05.01.09, 00:30  Betreff: Re: Sophia  drucken  weiterempfehlen

schön.. :)

Come out tonight, let's go dancing
shoot out the lights, the hole distance
and throw our souls from tall buildings
on broken roads, just like kids
Don't give up, just yet..
little

Administrator

New PostErstellt: 05.02.09, 12:47  Betreff: Re: Sophia  drucken  weiterempfehlen

There Are No Goodbyes

Am 27.4. erscheint ein neues Sophia-Album

Tracklist :

01. There Are No Goodbyes
02. A Last Dance (To Sad Eyes)
03. Storm Clouds
04. Dreaming
05. Obvious
06. Something
07. Signs
08. Heartache
09. Leaving
10. Portugal

Sandra
starsailor

New PostErstellt: 18.02.09, 22:09  Betreff: Re: Sophia  drucken  weiterempfehlen

http://fm4.orf.at/stories/1601293/

die Wiener-Radio-Session vom Valentinstag als Videostream
online nur bis 27.02.09

Setlist:
The Sea
So Slow
If Only
Where Are You Now
Birds
Lost
Oh My Love
Pace
Bastards
Heartache neu
Last Night
Razorblades
I left you
Signs neu

Come out tonight, let's go dancing
shoot out the lights, the hole distance
and throw our souls from tall buildings
on broken roads, just like kids
Don't give up, just yet..
little

Administrator

New PostErstellt: 10.03.09, 19:54  Betreff: Re: Sophia  drucken  weiterempfehlen

May 14 '09: Sputnikhalle, Münster (DE) www.sputnikhalle.de

May 15 '09: Bahnhof Langendreer, Bochum (DE) www.bahnhof-langendreer.de

May 16 '09: Beatpol, Dresden (DE) www.beatpol.de

May 17 '09: Brotfabrik, Frankfurt (DE) www.brotfabrik.info

May 18 '09. Feierwerk (Hansa 39), München (DE) www.feierwerk.de

little

Administrator

New PostErstellt: 28.03.09, 14:35  Betreff: Re: Sophia  drucken  weiterempfehlen

das neue cover..

creepy*

Administrator

New PostErstellt: 28.03.09, 14:55  Betreff: Re: Sophia  drucken  weiterempfehlen

..du warst schneller

***+***

ALBUM COVER, BONUS CD AND PRE-SALES
Now that the release of 'There Are No Goodbyes' is exactly one month away, it's time to reveal the album cover.

Robin has said that he chose this photograph by Philip Lethen (which he calls "shadows") along with the others included in the albums artwork ("bed shadows" and "open windows" ) because of how it reminds him of his own desire to someday, hopefully, have a home of his own, yet at the same time also confronts him with a melancholic sense of how life is so transitory.

"We spend our lives trying to find warmth and comfort. Dreaming of a place where we can live our lives and our loves. A place that not only exists for us but also despite us. We can leave but the walls will remain. A family portrait. A painting of a sunset. A frame that holds a Masters Degree or a PhD. A calendar that tells us when we're allowed to gather up the kids, pack the beach ball and lock the door for our annual two week holiday... We come and go but these things, they stay in their place. One day though, for whatever reason, we gather up our lives and leave for good and all that's left are the shadows in a home that once existed for us but now exists despite us."

The first pressing of the album will have a strictly limited edition bonus cd:
The Valetines Day Session
Recorded in Vienna, Austria 14/02/2009

"You said you should have left me at Christmas
And then again on Valentines" (from 'Signs')

1. The Sea
2. So Slow
3. If Only
4. Where Are You Now
5. Birds
6. Lost
7. Oh My Love
8. Pace
9. Bastards
10. Heartache
11. Last Night I Had A Dream
12. Razorblades
13. I Left You
14. Signs

This 70 minute live recording is an excellent way to let everyone who couldn't make it to the pre-album mini-tour, experience all these Sophia classics (and two new songs!) in their beautiful 'Robin solo plus string quartet' versions.

If you want to get a first taste of the new album, then head over to the Sophia MySpace player, which has been updated with 3 tracks from the new album and the bonus cd.

And last but not least: once you've taken in all the above info, don't forget to visit the Flower Shop Recording Online Store where you can now pre-order 'There Are No Goodbyes'!
All pre-orders of the cd will receive the limited edition 2 cd digipack version of the album.
The limited editon (1000 copies) vinyl LP is also available for pre-order.

quelle:
http://www.sophiamusic.net/
http://www.myspace.com/thesophiacollective

Benutzerprofil anzeigen Private Nachricht an dieses Mitglied senden Website dieses Mitglieds aufrufen
creepy*

Administrator

New PostErstellt: 28.03.09, 15:15  Betreff: Re: Sophia  drucken  weiterempfehlen

hab grad bissl auf der seite gestöbert.
meine bilder sind ja auch noch drauf... 2004 war das schon..

Sophia - Nov. 02 '04: Manufaktur, Schorndorf (D) (+ string quartet) with The Album Leaf

Benutzerprofil anzeigen Private Nachricht an dieses Mitglied senden Website dieses Mitglieds aufrufen
Sortierung ndern:  
Anfang   zurück   weiter   Ende
Seite: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Seite 1 von 7
Gehe zu:   
Search